How to distribute a classical music release
Classical releases are subject to more specific formatting. Non-public-domain musical works (such as contemporary classical scores) are not subject to the standard classical format.
In general: Please consult http://imslp.org/ to find more information about specific formatting of classical works (incl. composer names, work and movement titles).
- Adding the first initial in front of the last name is also acceptable.
- Performers must be listed as main artists and can include symphonies, orchestras, choirs, conductors, or soloists.
- On track level a detailed artist listing is possible.
- On release level, only the most important roles should be listed (orchestra, choir, conductor, only the most important soloists).
- Composers should not be listed as artists, unless they are in fact performing on the recording.
- Additional track details such as “Arr. by X” should be added in brackets after the title in the title field. Do not enter any details in the version title field.
- Key and catalogue numbers are not always required.
- Please consult http://imslp.org/ to find more information about specific formatting of classical works (incl. composer names, work and movement titles).
The “Works Title” field is an optional field for classical music. However, it must be used for canonical works that have standardized nomenclature, such as e.g.:
- [Track Title Field:] Movement Number. Movement Title [Works Title Field:] Name of Work in Key, Catalogue Number:
Example: Ludwig van Beethoven.: Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67: I. Allegro con brio
- [Track Title Field:] I. Allegro con brio [Works Title Field:] Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67 [Contributor details:] Composer: Ludwig van Beethoven
- [Track Title Field:] Act: "Song" [Works Title Field:] Opera Title, Catalogue Number,
[Example: Mozart: Don Giovanni, K. 527, Act II: "Il mio tesoro intanto"] [Track Title Field:] Act II: "Il mio tesoro intanto [Works Title Field:] Don Giovanni, K. 527, Act II [Contributor details:] Composer: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Please do not add the colon (“:”) at the end of the works title. This will be added by the system. Furthermore, if this is your own composition that is not standardized, but you have an overarching work with individual movements, please also use this field.
- Composers must be listed on a track level as contributors.
- Please enter the full composer’s name and don’t use abbreviations.
- Feel free to consult http://imslp.org/ to find more details about the correct spelling of the composers' names.